Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tasting Turkish Wines

I recently did a podcast with Shane Rai owner of Vino Rai, a Seattle based importer of Turkish Wines.  Being that I am (or now was) a Turkish wine virgin, he was kind enough to send me a sample of Gali 2010 Merlot / Cabernet Franc blend.

I was very excited as I am always open to new wine experiences.

The Gali Estate is planted on 104 acres on the Gallipoli peninsula with Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon.

This particular blend is 85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc.

Upon opening the wine there was a strong aroma of Anise with a hint of black pepper. The palate showed strong licorice with dark berry fruit.  This wine clearly needed to open up.

Given some time this wine turned into a gem.  It opened up nicely to show dark berry fruit, plum with nice acidity and hints of oak.

To learn about Wines of Turkey you can listen to the podcast at http://uncorkyourmind.com/wines-of-turkey/ 

No comments: